Barking Dogs

Barking dogs
Barking dogs

Council has provided below some advice for dog owners and information for residents on how to make a complaint about a barking dog.

Advice for dog owners

If you own a dog that barks excessively, there are positive steps you can take to prevent the dog from barking too much and to reduce and prevent offensive noise to your neighbours.

The Barking Dog Fact Sheet provides good advice on caring for your dog and provides an insight as to why your dog is barking.  It also explains the law applying to noise from dogs and provides information that is intended to make life better for you, your dog and your neighbours.

Making a complaint about a barking dog

If you experience unwanted noise such as excessive barking or other problems associated with dogs in your local neighbourhood, there are a number of things you can do.

Contact your neighbour first, calmly explain to them what is happening and how it is affecting you. The owner may not be aware that their animal is causing a nuisance. If you have ideas on how to resolve the issue you could suggest this to the owner.

If the first approach does not work there are community justice centres available to help mediate between you and your neighbour. They may be able to help you come up with a resolution.

Lodging a complaint with Council

If you are unable to resolve the animal nuisance issue by talking with the pet owner, a complaint can be made to the City of Canada Bay by phoning 9911 6555 or by completing an online Animal Complaint Form.   

Nuisance Orders

Should a cat or dog repeatedly make noise, damage other people’s property or chase people, animals or vehicles, Council may issue a Nuisance Order.

A Nuisance Order may be issued if your dog is found to be repeatedly:

  • roaming the neighbourhood
  • making a noise
  • defecating on other people's property
  • chasing a person, animal or vehicle
  • causing damage to property.  

More information

Page last updated on: 05/02/13